If cooking on a camp stove means corned beef hash or sausages and beans to you, I thought I might try to inspire you with something a bit different this summer.
After a weekend of fun and frolics canoe-camping in the gorgeous Wye Valley a few weeks ago, I was myself inspired by my fellow campers.
So, I'm offering you Halloumi and Chutney fritters with couscous, Couscous Chicken Doris and Chocolate Orange Bombes for dessert. How does that sound?
|Halloumi and Veg kebabs|
Halloumi cheese is great for cooking on the BBQ- lightly oiled, sliced and cooked with peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms as a kebab.
Or, made into crispy fritters to fry in the pan over the camping stove:
Halloumi and Chutney fritters
1. Slice the halloumi into 1 cm thick slices
2. Beat 1 egg with a tablespoon of chutney
3. Lay out 3 dishes- 1 each of flour, the chutney/egg mix and breadcrumbs
|Ready to coat|
|Halloumi and Chutney Fritters|
5. Serve with salad and couscous
|Make the couscous with boiling water as directed by the packet|
The leftover couscous makes the perfect coating for Chicken Doris (named after the skinny chicken who was the mascot for the weekend).
1. Marinade chicken breast fillets in 2 tbsp of natural yogurt
|mmm..doesn't that look appetising?|
|Chicken coated in couscous|
(Sorry it's a bit blurry- too much wine went in at this point- into the cook that is, not the food.)
And for dessert, I was very taken with this dessert prepared by my camping neighbours:
Chocolate Orange Bombes
1. Cut a lid from the top of each of 4 oranges and hollow them out, using a sharp knife. Keep the juice and pulp to one side.
|Preparing the mix|
3. Spoon the mix into the hollowed-out oranges
4. Wrap them in aluminium foil and place on the BBQ to cook ( for at least 30 minutes )
|Orange Bombes on the BBQ|
|Chocolate Orange Bombes|
The result is a gooey, Brownie-like pud that tastes like a Terry's Chocolate Orange( but one you don't need to share).
All too soon, the camping weekend was over - as is this post.
Thanks to Steve for the photos, Paula for the pud recipe and Doris for the entertainment!
|Can you spot Doris?|