What a summer it's been so far for eating al fresco. Whether it's been barbecuing in the back yard, soaking up the sun in Saugues or brunching at Bewl Water, this has definitely been the year when we ate outdoors!
But my first picnic challenge of the year was an interesting one- a picnic guest who was cutting down on gluten and wanted to go breadless.
No more sandwiches, quiches and pizzas- time to get creative with the cool box.
So, on today's picnic menu we have Tortilla, Flourless Mushroom Muffins and Seeded Shards ( for dipping in hummus or guacamole)
The Tortilla is simple- and uses up any leftover cooked vegetables or garden glut you might have. This recipe is for a classic potato and onion tortilla.
2 large white onions
2 medium sized potatoes
6 eggs and a splash of milk
pinch each of salt, pepper and sugar
1. Finely slice the onions and potatoes
|Finely sliced veg ready|
3. Blanch the potato slices (if you are using raw rather than leftover boiled potatoes) for 5-8 minutes in boiling salted water until tender.
4. Add the sugar to the onions and continue to fry until golden brown
5. Add the blanched potato and continue to fry gently until the potato also starts to brown
6. Beat the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper
7. Pour over the potato/onion mix and continue to heat gently until the tortilla is set underneath
8. Place a plate over the pan and invert the tortilla onto it.
|Invert onto a plate|
9. Slide the tortilla back into the pan and continue to cook on the second side.
10. Cool, slice and serve.
|Potato and Onion Tortilla|
Flourless Mushroom Muffins
A bit like tortillas, these little om-cakes are cooked in the oven in muffin cases.
I've used mushrooms and spring onions as the flavouring as that is what I had to hand- but again you can use any veg you choose (peas, spinach, leeks...)
4 eggs separated
125g of veg- eg. sliced mushrooms, sliced spring onions
40 g of grated mature cheddar
1. Line a muffin tin with paper or silicone cases (the latter work best) and pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff
3. Gently fry the mushrooms and onions until just cooked
|Fry your filling choice|
5. Add the chopped fried vegetables and the cheese
6. Gently fold in the egg whites and spoon into the cases
|Fold in the egg whites|
|Spoon into muffin cases|
7. Bake until risen and golden.
|Risen and golden!|
|Flourless Mushroom Muffins|
50g porridge oats
100g mixed savoury seeds
1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp approx of water to mix
1. Mix all the ingredients together with enough water to make the mixture soft
|Mix all the ingredients together|
3. Line a baking tin with greaseproof paper and spread out the mixture, pressing down with a spoon
|Press into a baking tin|
5. Allow to cool completely and then break into shards
6. Store in an airtight container.
Now pack up some salad, some dips and crisps and crunchy veg sticks and plenty to drink.
You should have a picnic that will please the pickiest of picknickers- so what are you waiting for?